View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013   #149
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doc, your take was quite logical, and I was about to say so... but I thought I check things out a little more.

He sustained the injury in game seven while blocking on a punt return.

We're back to square one.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Broncos would cut him.
Brooking is gone, and they don't have any proven player behind these two guys.
They also have plenty of cap space, so this doesn't sound like a cost cutting move.

Unless both of the young players on the roster showed tremendous improvement in OTA... but do coaches evaluate players without pads on that quickly?

I can't help but remain skeptical.

Maybe I should go back and watch some tapes; at least I heard that he's a good special team player, and we do need that.
Actually, the timing fits the picture for a non weight-bearing bone like the fibula. From player to player, there will be variable factors affecting IF and HOW MUCH TIME passes from original development of a fibula stress fracture to overt fracture of this bone. I've seen examples where stress fractures were actually missed on x-ray reading (as demonstrated in re-readings made in retrospect) with the overt fracture not occurring for a months thereafter. Meanwhile, the player is in significant pain (tough football players tend to "suck it up" and minimize their complaints) with performance definitely negatively effected. The pain of a stress fracture may begin gradually. Usually the pain worsens with increasing levels of activity and is relieved by rest. When rest is not provided, the stress fracture line may extend and deepen until a point in time (different in each case) when it weakens enough to go on to overt fracture. A sudden loading impact (jumping up then landing hard) will many times be the factor that creates this ultimate event.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote