View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013   #29
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans audibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What I'm saying is what you're saying makes 0 sense.....to me at least...

You think the defense doesn't know when calls are being made?

More subtle to you doesn't mean more subtle to the players on the field.

You're assuming a lot. Nowhere has any player or coach ever said "we call audibles, but we just try to do it stealthily as to not alert the defense"...They won't say that because it doesn't make any functional sense.

I don't understand what is wrong with saying Matt calls audibles, but not as freely or as often as some other QB's may call them. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Like Meyers said, the offense is designed so that they don't have to.
It is quite possible that if done right, the defense has no clue that you've decided to run left rather than right or go to a slant pass as opposed to a stretch run. The code could be in the signals; it could be as simple as "if I start the count with 'red' its a pass; if I start with 'green' its a run... and so forth.

For example, the call in the huddle could have been "stretch run left" but Matt gets to the line, sees something to exploit and says "Red! blah, blah, blah"... The 'Red' call tells all our guys that he's changed the play to a pass and the rest of the blah, blah, blah is whatever code is necessary to alert the primary receiver he's now hot and is expected to run a slant or Go or Out or whatever...

The play just got completely re-done with no formation shifting or Peyton-esque arm-waiving or Tom Brady pointing or anything. And yeah, it's totally possible the defense doesn't know the play has been changed.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote