View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013   #189
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Disappointing. How do players generally prepare or get conditioned to avoid that kind of injury?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If that's the case, that is disappointing to hear.
Predisposing factors for ankle sprains in general include poor core and lower limb (hip to ankle joint) muscle tone/strength, poor athletic conditioning that is commonly associated with being overweight and having poor balance or coordination. All of these factors contribute to ankle instability and must be the focus of the rehab. In addition, a high-arched foot can also increase the risk of ankle sprains and must be taken into consideration as far as adjusting footwear.

FYI:
~5-10 % of all ankle sprains are high ankle sprains
~50 % of athletes have a recurring ankle sprain
~40 % of athletes have long-term ankle instability after a severe sprain

Keep in mind that although I gave Montgomery a potential 6-8 week "return," he would obviously not be considered "football ready" at that time. This type of injury can be quite unpredictable. I have seen a good share of severe high ankle sprains that were not ready to return for several months(I'm sure that you Rey have seen this same scenario). Furthermore, if it is severe and conservative treatment fails, surgical screws would need to be placed....with at least an additional 12 week rehab before considering back to "field activities".....like weight-bearing (walking).

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 07-29-2013 at 11:17 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote