View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible Pro Bowl Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Agreed.

I was thinking the same thing, except....
  1. Forget Hawaii
    It's expensive to get the players to Hawaii, now we're also going to send two full teams as well? Do it in Houston, or if they want to get the Northern venues into the post season festivities, do it in Chicago.

The players selected to the Pro Bowl teams can pay their own way.. or not show up if they don't want to. I think eventually players will make their own way, just like a bunch of players make their way to the Super Bowl whether they're playing or not.
  2. Not draft eligible players
    I'd hate for a draft eligible player to get seriously injured before the draft.

Instead, each probowler can sponsor any player who was not on an active roster for x number of games... So let's say Antonio Smith gets voted to the Pro Bowl. He can sponsor Terrell McClain since he was only active for three games of the 2012 season.

So if Jj Watt also gets voted to the Pro Bowl, we don't have another DE or DT that fits the requirements, he can chose a guy he went to school with on another team.

These guys would be looking for an opportunity to prove they can play at this level.

All week, we could see the ProBowler working with his protege. They could have silly competitions all week, Survivor style. Then they'd play all out for the game, not wanting to let their sponsors down.
Well, I see the point of Hawaii being expensive so sure, they could move it around and maybe make it to Hawaii once a decade or so. I think if done right the city hosting the game could make some money off of it so there would be no shortage of possible sites. I also think the NFL could build a big event around it by associating it more with the draft. Goodell moved it to Super Bowl weekend at one point trying to make it more a part of the NFL season and cement the Super Bowl as the definitive "end" of the season. I think he was 180 degrees wrong. The best plan would be to move it closer to the combine (no worries, not that close) and make it both a reward for players who excelled the previous year and at the same time I legitimate part of the draft process.

I see your point about not getting anyone hurt in the game before their career even begins but I never assumed that your potential first rounders would participate. I likened it to the Senior Bowl in that players would get invited who needed to get on film and wanted to raise their stock. The top talent rarely takes part in those kinds of games and I wouldn't expect them to here. What they could do is invite some of them to do a "Pro Day" type of event by holding out the chance to work with some of the real pros who were selected from the previous season. That might lure some of them out to participate and add another "event" to the weekend.

They need to turn it into another step in that year round NFL process Goodell talks so much about.