View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013   #86
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Transcripts from first day of OTA's [HT.com]
Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on how the first practice of training camp went) “Yeah, I thought it was good. I liked the conditioning. I like the way we came back, good sense of urgency. Obviously, we’ve got a lot of, well, for a first day out, we’ve got quite a few guys that are limited or have something going on. We’ve got to bring them along the right way, but I like the conditioning of the team, good start.”

(on the enthusiasm of the first practice) “Yeah, there really is. You’ve got to be real careful the first morning because there’s so much enthusiasm. They’re so gunned up. You have a tendency for guys to really gas themselves. (We) just try to get them into their routine. I like the personality of our group. We’ve got a few different faces that are going to be leaders on this team. We’ve got some young kids I think will really help this team, so it’ll be fun to watch it come together.”

(on having ILB Brian Cushing back and not overexerting him early) “Yeah, no doubt. Obviously, there’s a plan in place. I think he worked about 25 minutes today. We’ll keep heading that way. We’ll do the right thing. We’re trying to work him toward, obviously, thinking about grass in the preseason. So that starts to talk about preseason two or three, one of those, but we’ll stick with our plan.”

(on RB Arian Foster’s situation) “He’s doing really good. A little bit of a surprise to me because I thought he’d be ready to go, but Kap (Head Athletic Trainer Geoff Kaplan) and they just think he needs a few days with them to work into the routine. But he’s had a good summer; he’s been here every day. I expect him back pretty quickly.”

(on ILB Darryl Sharpton’s injury status) “Sharp’s a little bit of a surprise to us. (He) came back with a sore groin, so we didn’t really know where we were because obviously we haven’t seen him in a little while. (He) probably had as good of an offseason as anyone on our team, so it was a surprise and we’ll watch him here for a couple days and see where he’s at.”

(on OLB Sam Montgomery and making him active) “We didn’t like the condition he came back in, but he made up a lot of ground the last few days. He was ready to go back out (and) tweaked his ankle a little bit today, so Sam’s just got to stay in one piece, figure out what we’re doing and I think (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) and (LBs Coach) Reggie (Herring) will do a great job with him. We’ve just got to keep him healthy.”

(on TE Garrett Graham not practicing) “(He’s) sick. Actually, we didn’t even let him report yesterday. Very sick with some type of virus. Spent the day in the hospital yesterday. He is back home. Probably will not see him until Sunday. We’ll try to keep him away from everybody else.”

(on other players who weren’t initially active on the roster) “Let’s see. You’ll just have to start asking me. Other than that, we’re just trying to work some guys like (T Derek) Newton in slowly, (T Brennan) Williams in slowly, but they did practice today. We’ve got guys we have to keep off the turf. A few guys will probably see that as we go, but we’ve got a plan for all of them. Talked about all of them, but good to get started.”

(on if he’s changed the conditioning test) “No, I don’t have one. I’ve never had one. I just think that if you have a great offseason program, which I think we do and you let them know you trust them, I think their condition test is practice this morning (and) that they show up. Guys see that they haven’t been doing anything, I mean, they’ll find out real quick. I think we passed the test. Our guys have been good.”

(on if he was impressed with the catches the young receivers were making today) “Yeah, but I’ll tell you what, like (WR) Keshawn (Martin) did that all through the OTAs, did some good stuff. (WR) Jeff Maehl had a really good offseason. It’s a young group. It’s committed to youth. We need them to step up as quickly as they can.”

(on having LB Brian Cushing back) “It’s just good to have him back. He’s always been the emotional leader of this football team. He’s chomping at the bit to go for two hours, but we’re going to work him in the right way and make sure he’s ready to go.

(on how he would characterize the right tackle battle) “We’re very talented there, but we’ve got a lot of work to do because we missed a great deal of time. We’ve got to have some patience here as we get them both (T Derek Newton and T Brennan Williams) to full speed. We have a young player in (T David) Quessenberry who we think can go out and compete, but we don’t want to run him all over the place right now, so we’re starting him inside and we’ll see what happens. But we’ve got to get them both to where they’re 100 percent, competing every day and then see what happens.”

(on T Ryan Harris) “If we started today, Ryan would start at right tackle because Newton is not totally back and Williams is not totally back. So Ryan’s the guinea pig so to speak, he plays all over the place right now, but he’s had a good offseason and he’s 100 percent.”

(on FS Ed Reed’s status) “I’m impressed with where he’s at. He’s come a long way, watching him work with the guys today. They’ve got him on a program. We’ll work him out early in the mornings when the team’s doing individual stuff and try to have him available when we’re doing team, so he’s learning our system and those type of things. He knows what he has to do to get ready, but I’m impressed with how far he’s come.”

(on what he thinks about the new field in the Methodist Training Center) “I like it. It’s dark in here though isn’t it? We’ve got to figure out, bring a flashlight in here or something. No, I like it. I think our guys have more confidence in it right now with this new stuff. If we do have to come in here, I think they’re a little more confident with what we’re working on.”

(on if he’s more confident in the playing surface inside the Methodist Training Center) “It doesn’t matter what I (think). I’m not the one running on it. I think it’s nice/ it’s something that we play on every week and obviously the old one that we had was starting to wear out a little bit. I think it’s a good thing to have if we need it.”

(on WR Andre Johnson helping the younger receivers and also asking them to tell him if he’s doing something wrong and if that is part of what makes Johnson a good pro) “No doubt. Usually, you get guys at that age, they’re kind of set in their ways and stuff and this guy’s eager. I’ve told him before, ‘You don’t have to go to this meeting or that meeting,’ but he’s still there. He wants to learn and that’s why he’s going to play a long time. That’s why he keeps being successful.”

(on the decision to move OLB Brooks Reed back outside after he practice inside during OTAs) “First off, we thought if he’s going to get reps inside, let’s do it in the offseason. The second thing, I think, one of the biggest things is Sharp (ILB Darryl Sharpton) had such a great OTAs or spring, that it was easy for Brooks to go back. As you can see, you never know how that can change again, but, we know one thing, he’s going to be somewhere and he can play both spots.”