View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans whistling past the graveyard at Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That just means a lot of teams are doing it wrong.

The game is changing & as soon as we start seeing kickers who can get some air under the ball & drop it in the 5, the league will start looking for more of them.
I don't know if you realize how hard that is.

To kick the ball that high off of a kicking tee and be able to pin a team inside the 5 would require skill that this league has never seen.

When was the last time you saw someone fair catch a normal kick-off? Not one of those short pooches...but a kick off that went past the twenty?

If there is a kicker that can make teams fair catch inside their own ten yard line, they'd be guaranteed a roster spot even if they couldn't do anything else. Even if they couldn't kick extra points.

Do you realize how valuable that would be?

I understand the idea you have, but kickers aren't able to kick the ball that high and that far in order to give the return team enough time to get down there to be pinned inside the 5.

I agree with it in principal, but I don't think it's a realistic expectation.

I mean...I like the high and deep (but not too deep) approach with a strong legged kicker...But you are realistically still looking at a stop around the 15-20..maybe around the 11 or 12 if you are lucky/that good. And if a guy is able to run with it and doesn't have to call a fair catch, there's always the chance it could go much farther.

Having said all that, if I'm a coach I'd rather kick it out of the EZ and have opposing teams start on the 20 every time and not even risk having them return it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote