View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: Texans training camp previews

TEXANS TRAINING CAMP PREVIEW: OFFENSE

Quote:
There are always storylines heading into each camp that will either define the way a roster is shaped, or can define how good a team can be. Here are three offensive storylines to watch during the preseason for the Texans.

Can DeAndre Hopkins become an instant threat as the new starting WR2?
The Texans haven't ever had a consistently dangerous WR2 since, well, since ever. While I think DeAndre Hopkins can certainly become a quality NFL WR, the question is whether or not he can make an immediate impact while the window for success is still open with Andre Johnson as the Texans WR1. We will see how quickly QB Matt Schaub and Hopkins can gel in the preseason.

Will anyone step up and prove that they deserve to be the starter at right tackle?
The Texans thought Derek Newton had the size and athleticism to take over as the starting RT of the future, but that future was hastened last year once Rashad Butler was lost for the year. Truth be told, neither guy looked very good in preseason. Newton had an average to below average first year and the Texans drafted Brennan Williams in the third round because of it. The problem is that I'm not sure Williams or Newton are better than veteran Ryan Harris and I'm not sure that any of the three are good enough for what the Texans want this season. My early money is on Ryan Harris winning the job.

Will the running game still be the headliner of this offense, or will Kubiak look to attack through the air more in 2013?
I don't think we'll ever see Gary Kubiak abandon what he believes in which is a solid running game that helps to balance a play-action passing attack that threatens defenses on the intermediate and deep levels. With that said, I also don't think Kubiak has much interest in putting Schaub in many second-and-long and third-and-long positions, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a more aggressive approach from the offense with the passing game being used to open things up for the running game. The Texans passing game usually comes out looking sharp in the preseason and early in the year so we may not have this question answered until we get 2 or 3 games deep into the season.

POSITION-BY-POSITION ANALYSIS
QUARTERBACK
We all know that Matt Schaub is...
T.J. Yates is probably the...
Case Keenum is one to keep an eye on in camp.
Stephen McGee is a bit...

RUNNING BACK
The more I studied the running game this offseason, the more...
Arian Foster has been used...
Ben Tate was in the...
Deji Karim is a veteran who...
Ray Graham, Cierre Wood and Dennis Johnson...

WIDE RECEIVER
They forgot about Dre...
The key to the offense is likely going to be the rookie Hopkins because...
Keyshawn Martin was a big...
I would like to say that I'm excited about Lestar Jean, but...
Rookie draft pick Alan Bonner isn't very big, but...

TIGHT END
There isn't really much to say about Owen Daniels since...
Garrett Graham has more potential than some might think...
Even though rookie Ryan Griffin has the size and potential blocking ability... Phillip Supernaw is a guy the Texans...

TACKLES
Duane Brown weighed just...
Derek Newton is physically ready for camp, but...
Ryan Harris may not be the sexy selection, but...
Brennan Williams is a rookie and he missed OTAs due to injury. That's a bad combination...
Andrew Gardner isn't going to...
Nick Mondek was a...
I like rookie David Quessenberry, but...

GUARDS / CENTERS
Chris Myers is steady and more than...
There were snaps late in the year where I thought Brandon Brooks looked...
As for Wade Smith, he had his...
Quessenberry and Ben Jones who might be able to play LG...
Ben Jones showed that he was a...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote