View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013   #46
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: One post that has everything about Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So, the question is still the same. Did we or did we not have holes on our team? Did Schaub compensate for our offensive deficiencies or not? Foster had a good season, but our run game wasn't as potent as it needed to be & our receivers catch rate (including Foster) took a giant step back.

Still, Matt threw for 4000 yards, basically with one WR.
I'll take a stab at it and say, no, he didn't. I say it but still think he's capable of winning a Superbowl for us because I simply think he's the type of player that needs more tools around him versus otherwise. Plus how his contract is setup money wise he's not going anywhere for at least 2 more years so I find it all moot but we do need to talk about something until the season starts, heh.

If Schaub compensated we wouldn't have had such an offensive meltdown from week 14 on. We went nine quarters without an offensive touchdown while playing defenses that were no better than medicore including scoring 6 points at home against the Vikings. That is not really compensating for issues in other places. I think Schaub had a better game against the Pats in the end then some give him credit for though. I saw more strength in his passes that than normally. Yet even with that thought the play that hangs in my mind is when he breaks away from the rush and is completely clear yet throws the ball away instead of looking to make a play. .

Secondly, you seem too hung up on the 4000 yards but have to remember something. He got a chunk of that in two games against rather piss poor secondaries at that. To get 4k in passing you need to average about 250 per game. Other than those two games (Jaguars/Lions) Schaub was only averaging 226 yards per game so was not on track for another 4k. That's why I find that number last year a bit deceiving. He had 842 yards alone in those two games.

And not sure what you mean on catch percentages taking a giant step back. Some sites have this stat slightly different but generally they are usually no more than 1.0-2.0 off one another.

Top targets (30+ targets)

2012 - 72.3
2011 - 68.5
2010 - 70.6

So there wasn't any massive drop. Now did he lack targets? Yes, he did. Jones departing hit us there because at least he had three receivers compared to last year of having only 2 of them. But there were no massive changes in catch percentages except for the guys with less than 30 targets. So probably should say he lacked viable receiving threats.

Again, not saying Schaub is not a good QB because I think he is and solid enough to get the job done. But I have not seen him really improve anyone offensively or make them a bit more than they really are. In truth, how many QB's can we say make those around them better? I think we can probably count them on one hand with maybe an exception here and there.

In other words, we're looking to hard to make Schaub more than he is. He doesn't have to be a Drew Brees, Rodgers, Manning family member, Brady or whatever. Would love if he was but he doesn't need to be for us to win. I don't think Flacco makes anyone better around him and right now he's polishing his ring.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote