Re: PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 10: Houston Texans
They haven't ranked the 9 teams ahead of the Texans yet. But by omission of the teams not on the list, here is what I came up with.
9. Bengals - The Texans have had their number in the playoffs the past 2 years. Don't see anything Cincy has done to assume that would change.
8. Ravens - They are the defending champs, though they've lost a lot in this offseason. I think they are in real danger to slip out of the playoffs entirely.
7. Saints - Still not sure why the return of head coach Sean Payton will help the one of the very worst defenses in the NFL.
6. Patriots - I think they are a paper tiger, considering all of their offseason losses and turmoil. But they do have Tom Brady, so I guess that fact alone ranks them ahead of many teams.
5. Falcons - Often compared to the Texans in terms of regular season success but playoff disappointment.
4. Packers - They've proven that they should be ranked ahead of the Texans.
3. Broncos - Very similar talent base to the Texans. One has Peyton Manning, the other doesn't.
2. Seahawks - I still think this team has holes. But what they do well (defense and controlling they ball), they do as well as anyone.
1. 49ers - Should go into the 2013 as the favorite.
I would rank the Texans around 6 or 7. But if we see the Matt Schaub of December/January, then there may be a struggle just to win the division. I have to agree with the jest of the blog piece. The 2013 season is about which Matt Schaub shows up.
We hurt ourselves, stopped ourselves and we just need to be better all around from top to bottom. We need to come together and get better as a football team.” - Matt Schaub