Re: PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 10: Houston Texans
They haven't ranked the 9 teams ahead of the Texans yet. But by omission of the teams not on the list, here is what I came up with.
9. Bengals - The Texans have had their number in the playoffs the past 2 years. Don't see anything Cincy has done to assume that would change.
8. Ravens - They are the defending champs, though they've lost a lot in this offseason. I think they are in real danger to slip out of the playoffs entirely.
7. Saints - Still not sure why the return of head coach Sean Payton will help the one of the very worst defenses in the NFL.
6. Patriots - I think they are a paper tiger, considering all of their offseason losses and turmoil. But they do have Tom Brady, so I guess that fact alone ranks them ahead of many teams.
5. Falcons - Often compared to the Texans in terms of regular season success but playoff disappointment.
4. Packers - They've proven that they should be ranked ahead of the Texans.
3. Broncos - Very similar talent base to the Texans. One has Peyton Manning, the other doesn't.
2. Seahawks - I still think this team has holes. But what they do well (defense and controlling they ball), they do as well as anyone.
1. 49ers - Should go into the 2013 as the favorite.
I would rank the Texans around 6 or 7. But if we see the Matt Schaub of December/January, then there may be a struggle just to win the division. I have to agree with the jest of the blog piece. The 2013 season is about which Matt Schaub shows up.
“We’re looking for a coach that...works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach.” - Bob McNair