View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013   #16
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt can jump 5ft in the air (well, almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A sitting vertical is harder than a standing vertical.

The sitting vertical is based on the concept of the "box squat" which is common in powerlifting training. With the box squat, you put the bar on your back, sit down on a box, pause, and then stand up. By sitting and pausing, you remove the spring effect from the elasticity of your muscles. In a regular squat, if you just go down and then come back up with the weight, there's extra kinetic energy stored in your muscles that you can use to get more explosiveness. It's like a rubber band thing. You stretch the muscle and it wants to snap back to its normal shape. But the longer you hold it, the less it wants to snap back.

So by going from a standing position, dropping down, and then exploding back up, JJ was able to use that stored kinetic energy. By sitting down and pausing, Cush dampened it and made the jump harder on himself.
Thank you, I gotta spread it around though...