Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013   #213
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
True, and that is why most famous 20 year old kids become 22 year old has-beens. (I'm looking at you, Lindsay Lohan.)

Overheard in 2015: "Who's the angry homeless drunk in the corner?" "That's Johnny Manziel. Won the Heisman a couple of years ago." "Really? Wow, that's sad."

At the rate he is going, while Bridgewater and Boyd are starting for NFL teams, Johnny will be trying to weedle a loan so he can get some action down on the next cockfight.

No, not just a win over Alabama, needs to be a National Championship. If Manziel doesn't make the improvement in play you should expect between the first and second year, yeah people will think he probably didn't work very hard on football, and that he may have even been drunk or hungover (errr, "dehydrated") during the games. That is 100% on him for working so hard to create that impression. And A&M has done a lot more for Manziel than vice versa.

Being the starting QB instead of a 3rd stringer who has never been in a game? Yes, it makes a difference. And he should be a year more mature. Instead he is building a pattern. And you are right, if he can roll out of the locker room drunk off his butt and lead the team to an undefeated season then that's awesome. As to the silly "choirboys can't win" no one is demanding angels. But I don't see how having your star player being drunk 7 nights a week and hungover 7 mornings a week improves your chances of winning.
Manziel is from a wealthy family, his family is the type that are successful at whatever they do. (Competitive people tend to be successful and have addiction issues. they are all in at whatever they do. Business/playing football/drinking etc.) I wouldn't worry about Johnny football ending up in the poor house.

If he was drunk/hungover last yr on thfield, Aggies need to buy him a shot before every game next yr. Tell me how has A&M for Manziel done more for A&M than Manziel has done for A&M? When he became the starting QB most Aggies would have been happy with a winning record in their 1st yr in the SEC. Now Manziel has them in the hunt for a national championship. So again, how is it that A&M has done more for Manziel.

I wouldn't count on A&M winning a national title this yr. They lost too much off their defense. Let Sumlin win the 1st confrence title in his career before the NC talk begins.

As far as the drunk/hungover thingy, Manziel seemed to do quite well like this last yr. (He led his team) I think the championship or bust mentality that A&M is putting on Manziel is unfair.

The good thing, being a Longhorn fan is that the Bryan/College Station crowd is doing everthing they can to make sure top notch recruits will look elsewhere if the recruitment process is close between A&M and another school after seeing how they treat a Heisman winner.