View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: For those worried about cush's knee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Cushing has always been referred to in the past as a "workout warrior." In the past this has translated to equivalent performance on the field. Unfortunately, under the circumstances, this term cannot automatically be assigned as having the same relationship to his expected ultimate level of return. How many "workout warriors" have not lived up to translation on the field? Cushing has a long road to hoe, and the odds are against him reaching his max short of the 9-12 month point, and possibly up to 1 1/2 - 2 years. And then returning to the "old Cush" is more hopeful than realistic at this point. Reality is frightening enough..........without at least half way being prepared for it. Let's all stay hopeful for now..........but not unprepared for a pinch of reality should it rear its ugly head.
I'm going to disagree with the definition of "workout warrior" used here in relation to Cush. For me at least, a "workout warrior" is a player that looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane, a player who has big numbers on tests like they run in the combine but who can't translate those numbers into performance on the field. I've never heard of or considered Cush a workout warrior by that definition.

He's a gymrat.

Totally different thing.

What I've liked about what I've seen of Cush's training is that it involves a lot of the powerlifting techniques and approaches I'm used to and comfortable with supplemented with a lot of the power training plyometrics that great OL coaches like Dr. Mel Siff were so enamored with for improving athletic performance and explosiveness. He's got a more informed approach than you see most people use.

That was what killed David Boston. He had all the talent and potential in the world. He became a gymrat but instead of using a lifting approach that improved performance, he used one that increased size, one that didn't really translate to the field. So he got big and ripped and awesome looking but... he slowed down and lost his speed and agility.

When you're that kind of gymrat, it's hard NOT to lift. It's hard NOT to push the rehab to the point where it loses effectiveness. I trust Cush and his coaches to make the right choices in how to both satisfy his workout addiction AND limit the stressors that they place on that injury so that it's within healthy bounds. Box Jumps could be an example of a way to work out and maintain explosiveness without putting too much of the wrong stress on the knee.

At least, that's the way I'm choosing to look at it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote