View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Have to disagree on quote and post a bit.
Good post.
Quote:
What they have done that he hasn't is have clutch moments in crucial situations/games. Schaub has yet to have those moments at this point (kind of hard when your team is getting waxed each year til now). He still has the opportunity but saying he has done what they have is just a stretch imo (some of them that is). Schaub is the type that needs things to go a certain way to be successful in prime situations. He's a system guy. Not a bad thing but some of those you just named can make plays when it breaks down.
The Giants were lucky to get into the play-offs @ 9-7.... Eli was clutch because he won that last game against the Cowboys...

Schaub got his team to 9-7, doesn't mean much because we weren't going to win our division with 9-7, much less a wild-card.

It's all relative. It's all about opportunity. If we got into the play offs in 2009, Schaub may have surprised us all. But he didn't. I'm not saying we should go on the "ifs" just understand opportunities are presented & remembered in all sorts of context.

Quote:
You say take away running game and defense...well when Eli won the Superbowl he had one of the least productive running games in the league (dead last) and a bad defense (27th yards, 25th scoring). He carried that team. Luckily, the defense rose their game in the playoffs but it was Eli carrying it through the year. Can we say that Schaub can do that?
Again, if Brian Cushing would have come back in time for the play offs we'd have seen a different defense than the one that fell off at the end of last season, just like the Giants saw a different defense when JPP & Kiwanuka got back into the line-up.

Eli did a good job to get his team to 9-7 winning his division... but they were 9-7. If the Cowboys or the Eagles were as good as the 2009 Colts, nobody would be talking about the 2011 Giants.

Quote:
The 4,000 yard seasons are nice but having moments you pull off the play despite the odds in crucial games are even bigger. Til Schaub can do that, he will not be in the category with guys who actually have done it on the field. Just like I wouldn't put Stafford up there despite having a 5k season one darn near it again. He hasn't shown the ability to make that crucial play. Well...other than heaving it up and saying 'Hey, Calvin! Bail me out!'
He's also got Romo, Rivers, Cutler, RG3, Russell Wilson & Cam Newton in that tier....

What am I missing? What have they done?
Quote:
I also can't get on the 'Brady wouldn't have won a Bowl here' train either. The difference of a Brady to a Schaub is Brady elevates the play of those around him. He has had medicore receivers most of his years but made it work. He has had some years with average or bottom half defenses but found his success. He has had no name running backs but made it work. So there's no real way to guarantee what Brady would or wouldn't do.
Agree to disagree. But we'll get to that later, in another thread maybe.

Quote:
As for my opinion on the Jaws thing...eh. Not big on ranking. All I care about is he good enough to win a Superbowl and in that regard I think he is. Most here seem to think you either have to hate him or love him but honestly I don't hold that stance. I think he is capable and solid. He's not great and I'm not going to put on Bulls colored glasses to think so. Not going to exaggerate his short comings either. If Flacco can put it together to get it done I see no reason Schaub can't. He just needs things to fall in line more than some.
I'm right there with you. If the general feeling was that Schaub is elite, I'd argue against it. Right now, they're arguing that Schaub is garbage.... I can't get behind that.