View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm not sure any record has anything to do with "clutch". Clutch is a very nebulous term used to describe the seeming ability to come up big when it matters most, a la the key passes that EManning has managed to pull off when it mattered most. But if you want to get into a dissection of what clutch is or isn't, it also doesn't take into account the crappy play that a QB may have done in order to let his team fall behind. If the defense gives up 28 points and the team is losing 28-3, that's not all on the defense. If it was 28-24, it's a different story.

So in the end, clutch is kind of a silly argument altogether. But for whatever that argument's worth, I don't see a lot of people labeling Peyton as clutch. So I refute your straw man.
It really is not a straw man argument, eriadoc.

What I merely like to point out (or make note of) is that it's still a team game.
It's not like basketball, and even in basketball, it's not easy to find that many clutch players.

In football, you need your ST not to suck and a pretty decent defense (or very good) to win big.
It is a common equation for the teams that won the SB.

When your ST and your D can allow the O with chances, they (the O) have a better chance to pull it off.

You need all 3 phases to go deep into the play-offs; that is the norm.
A QB that you pay a lot for reduces the average for you to field other positions on the team.

All I'm saying is that the Texans D underperformed last year due to injuries; Schaub was supposed to performed as a 8-12 ranked QB in the league; he fell a bit short on that end, but only because the D and the special team did not play up to their part.

If you remember, I rated Schaub somewhere in the 11-15th category.

To have a better indication of how good a QB is, we need to keep the other variables somewhat in constant (the combination of the D and the ST).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote