Thread: under pressure
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I can confirm what minus67 is saying, I saw the same info. on a web site (probably the same site he was looking at). They went on to say that his 40 times, which were impressive, should be discounted because he played at the
heavier weight (280 range) and would probably put it back on after he was drafted. The implication was that he had trimmed down for max performance
in the combine/workouts (including improving his 40 time). Of course he needs the speed as a 3-4 OLB but would probably want the bulk had he been drafted
as a 4-3 downlinman.
Babin came into the combine in February at 6-1.5, 260lbs on the nose. My guess is that if he ever was at the higher weight, it was at the beginning of the season and that he couldn't keep it on through the year. But Babin never put the phantom weight back on. In the time between the combine & the draft, he had personal workouts. Why was he selling himself at 260 lbs when the market for 280 lbs DEs is much greater? Waiting until after the draft to put the weight back on would be too late for the NFL 43 defensive teams to know as to whether Babin could put the weight on at all.

Unless Babin just happened to know that the Texans would trade up into the 1st and want him at OLB, it made no sense for him to stay at the lower weight before the draft. Unless he couldn't really play at that weight. I'm not criticizing what you or F-minus67 are reporting. Just that the website's theory has holes and should be discounted.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote