View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013   #453
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez to be Questioned

~2500 jerseys returned as Kraft states that "If this stuff is true, then I've been duped and our whole organization has been duped." He goes on to reveal some additional interesting facts re. Hernandez and his "vows" to the Patriots

Quote:
Kraft then shared a letter written by Hernandez before the 2010 draft in which Hernandez addressed his alleged use of marijuana at the University of Florida and agreed to biweekly drug tests throughout his rookie season if the Patriots drafted him. Hernandez also agreed to tie any guaranteed portion of his 2010 compensation to drug tests.

"I ask you to trust me when I say you have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to me and the use of recreational drugs," Hernandez wrote on the letterhead of the agency that represented him, Athletes First. "I have set very high goals for myself in the NFL and am focused 100 percent on achieving those goals."

The Patriots drafted Hernandez in the fourth round that year, 113th overall, an area where Kraft said the team has taken risks with players in the past.

As for the level of risk with Hernandez, Kraft said, "The only thing I was aware of was in this letter." He added that Hernandez was "putting his money where his mouth was" by agreeing to reimburse the team for part of his contract if a drug test was failed.

In August 2012, as Hernandez entered his third NFL season, the Patriots signed him to a contract extension through 2018 that included a $12.5 million signing bonus and could have been worth almost $40 million.

Kraft said he was told by coach Bill Belichick that after the extension, Hernandez had one of the best training camp performances of any player on the team. When asked whether the Patriots had Hernandez on any "team- or coach-imposed short leash," Kraft said the team wouldn't have signed him to that type of contract if that was the case.

"It obviously wasn't the correct decision," he said.

At the time, Hernandez donated $50,000 to the Myra Kraft Giving Back Fund.

"He spoke to me about wanting to be a role model in the Hispanic community," Kraft said. "... I believed him. ... He knew how to push my buttons."

Kraft pointed to his family's 20 years of ownership, and all the players signed by the club, in saying "by and large, the organization has done a good job."

The Patriots will absorb a $7.5 million salary cap charge in 2014 by releasing Hernandez, which will affect the club's ability to field as competitive a team as desired. While the Patriots could have waited to release Hernandez, and perhaps not taken such a big salary cap charge, Kraft said "principle is more important than money."

"There are big costs, big distractions; everything we don't want happening," he said.

Kraft also said the team also had about 2,500 Hernandez jerseys returned to its pro shop over the last two days, with fans exchanging them free of charge, which cost the club around $250,000. He said the Hernandez jerseys turned in would be "ground up and recycled."
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote