View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

So I'm watching the Tennessee @ Houston game. 6:16 in the first qtr, 1st & 10. The DE is playing outside Newton, 5 tech. The TE motions to Newton's side, straight up on the DE. At the snap, the TE puts a good block on the DE, turns him so that his shoulders are parallel to the sideline. Newton is able to get under his play side shoulder & the DE has no leverage to stop Newton from taking him where he wants to go, which is several yards from the LOS.

In my mind, that's the way the block (from the original post) is supposed to be executed.

The play didn't go very well (3 yard gain) because Ben Jones did a poor job on the second level, allowing a player to cut Foster down from the backside. Again, there is no backside cut, this time because Myers is manhandled by a LB & Wade Smith's cut block at the LOS impedes Browns ability to contribute.

Now, I'm watching a 3rd & 1 at 5:00 in the 1st qtr. Run to the right, Wade Smith gets blown up by a DT who trips Foster up 3.5 yards in the backfield.... pathetic. This guy should not be starting in 2013.