View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013   #129
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Easy.... Easy.... Easy John!!

First off, I think Lance's Dad has waaaaaay more credence than your personal analysis. He actually did it for a living at the professional level, for many, many, many years.

While you spend many hours studying film (and I appreciate that), I defer to the professionals (i.e. Lance's Dad).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Have you met my friend 76? (On the internet, not IRL.) Persistence is his middle and last name. He looks at film, posts what he sees, looks at film, posts what he sees, looks at more film, posts what he sees.

It's an endearing trait once you get used to it but the first couple of times and it's like... wait... what?

He's a good guy, though. Heart's in the right place.
Bill would know that IRL, I'm a very laid back and easy-going person.

But in a discussion, you have to bring everything to the table.

Once I'm convinced by another viewpoint, I gladly concur.
In the meantime, I simply continue to do what I like to do best, which is to watch and learn more about football, a little at a time.

And so I repeat, in one coaching session, Alex Gibbs started by saying that teams would do things differently every year to stay ahead of the game.
He also mentioned that Greg Knapp and other coaches at times don't see things the same way he does.

That right there tells us that a certain technique or scheme can surely vary from year to year.

I've been watching more tapes, and they show me the same thing.

Before last year, the uncovered tackle took a bucket step that doesn't show up in 2012.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ubRSd...%3DubRSdtMwQfw

In this third part of one of Gibbs' series, we can see that step pretty clearly whereas in 2012, it was often not there; the uncovered tackle looks to pivot on his outside toes toward his aiming point rather than lifting his outside foot off the ground.

In all the games I've been reviewing, the covered TE always have a part in the combo block with the OT.
In the video mentioned above, you will notice that on one play, Gibbs wasn't too happy with the TE when he left the combo block a bit too early.

There has been no exception in that observation except for the play that Lance brought up, which was the starting point of this discussion.

For those reasons, I simply cannot agree with Lance and Rey's assertion.
Now, while I have never professed that I know more about O-line play than either one of them, I steadfastly maintain the point that there can be no assertion until we know for sure what the heck the players were supposed to do on that play.

(And remember, originally, I also thought that Newton had a poor first step; however, in that same post, I also said that perhaps the Texans were doing something different.)

I know that I'm an open-minded person; but also, like TK said, one can't learn much by being a sheep. It takes questioning and learnings that arise from those questions to further increase one's knowledge. For me, that will always be the case.

Last edited by 76Texan; 07-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote