View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013   #68
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1277 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top 20 Players in the AFC South, Texans with 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
ummm... didn't WE do that once?
Hell I'm still having nightmares about how that turned out. Not saying that Luck will become Carr-like, but if I'm starting a brand new franchise I'm building my defense first.
Then I build the offense.
Why build defense first? So if I go young QB, and he screws up - and he will - the stud defense can minimize the damage.
And when I start to build my offense, I'm not so sure I don't go stud LT and start building a solid O-line before getting that young QB. I'd even lean toward trying to sign/draft as close to a stud RB as I can find so when I do get that young "franchise" QB, he has a solid team around him and won't have to carry franchise on his shoulders.

Do you think Luck would have been as successful at the helm of the 2002 Texans as he was for the 2012 Colts?? I sure don't.

And your premise was that we're starting a brand new franchise. Not that your stud QB is stepping into an established, playoff-level team. Just to be clear, everyone knows that 2-14 season was an aberration, not the norm for Indy.
If given the chance to draft a franchise level QB, no NFL exec would pass up that player to build the team in the manner you suggest. None. It is the single most important position in all of sports. The fact that Carr was not what he expected to be does not change that premise.

The 2012 Colts were what they turned out to be largely because of Luck. The talent on the roster was sorely lacking at a multitude of positions.
Indy Skinnz is offline   Reply With Quote