View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013   #52
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Fun and interesting discussion! Is Smith a "need" player? Not so sure as Crick $ .668, Jamison $. 840 and even Browner $ .495 for 2014 may impact keeping Antonio after 2013.

Again, I like Smith but $9.5m cap goes a long way to signing Cushing & Watt. Ninja is a good player but not a great player.
Do you really think Cushing will be as effective with Jamison or Crick or Browner at the other DE spot as he's been with Ninja in that spot. Would Wade be able to play the move-Watt-around games he plays if Jamison/Crick/Browner in Ninja's spot.

It's not just a money thing; it's will we fundamentally weaken our defensive front by letting a very effective DE (22 sacks in the 4 yrs he's been here) walk out the door...? Keeping a solid defense for the next 2-4 years - while A.J. is still the monster he's been on offense - is worth a 3-5 mil/yr investment. I simply don't see Jamison sufficiently filling the void that Ninja would leave. And Browner and Crick are pretty much unknown quantities.
I don't care for the idea of monkeying with Wade's toys like that to save a few bucks when there are games that can be played to keep the cap hit sensible.

And, BTW, what's wrong with Cushing giving a "hometown discount"? Yeah, he's a terror when healthy but he's missed 16 games in the four years he's been here.... Ninja has missed NONE.
Just my

Last edited by ObsiWan; 06-29-2013 at 05:50 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote