View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013   #174
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Texans are less than $3 mil under the cap. There are still rookies left to sign. The Texans are in cap hell. Screw Leach and sign a more productive player, both in % of plays and overall ability to help the team right now.

Leach is a marginal upgrade over Clutts, not a clear cut better player. Winston is better than anyone that's healthy right now.

Personally I'd rather sign neither, especially Leach. If we have to burn cap space, RT is a much more pressing need than FB. FB might play 40% of the offensive snaps. Winston could come in and play 100% of the snaps and be a temporary upgrade that allows a newer player to adjust to the NFL.

Winston might actually be the easier player to sign to a short term, incentive-laden contract, also. His familiarity with the Texans' system also trumps Leach, imo.

Lastly, Leach still has a SB ring and Winston is coming off of a year with the Chiefs. where he got cut from a sad-sack, relatively unproductive, OL. Leverage.
Toward first bolded comment, I think it is would Winston be better than anyone on roster in September not now. Last year's starter is supposedly going to be ready by game one. Williams also healthy could be equal to Winston quickly, he is that good. I will go on a limb & say Quessenbury could be better than Winston by end of season so I am in no hurry to sign anyone. Barring injuries later, no team appears to be in a panic to sign him.

Bolded comment #2 if Winston was willing to sign a short term, incentive laden contract, why has he not said so?

OBTW, if Eric is familiar with system, would not Leach be also? Forgot to bold that one.