View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

In the week 3 game vs the Broncos, the Texans faced a 3-4 defense, so there wasn't any scenario that has enough similarity.

In the next game against the Titans, I found these:

12:57 First quarter
Brown did not take a bucket step with his playside foot.
He simply turned his left toe in that direction and started his first step with the right foot.
The DE was a hair inside the TE (Graham), yet Graham stayed with the combo block the whole way through.

On the next play, the DE lined up outside Graham, but attack to the inside.
Both Newton and Graham stayed with the combo block to ride him out of the way before Newton released to the second level.

6:16 first quarter
OD went into motion and ended up on the right side, with the DE slightly inside him in an inside-slant position (but he attacked the outside.)
OD stayed with the combo block long and strong before releasing.
Newton's first step is consistent with what I described about D. Brown earlier.

5:38 second quarter
With the DE head up on the TE, same thing repeats itself.
It looks like the Texans teach the OT to reduce the bucket step to a minimum (as I've been describing.)

10:19 fourth qtr
6:29 fourth qtr
5:54 fourth qtr

I've watched every run plays and noted the similar situations in four games (not counting the Broncos game), and there's still no exception.

Do I believe in what I've been observing?
You bet I do!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote