View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
To me, Smith saying he's interested in an extension is Smith saying that he doesn't want to test FA and that he's willing to sign for less. He wants to stay here.

If he's willing to be reasonable with his money requests, I'm willing to extend him.
Let's say we rework him and he gets a $3m base + $1m prorated bonus or cap hit of $4m. That would be very reasonable although I doubt he would take it. You have reduced his cap hit by almost half from $9.5 to 4. While $4.5 savings is good, it does not do as much as having a full $9m to utilize. If we are considering allowing his contract to play out, we need to make sure we have a replacement for his absence in 2014. While we might surmise, it would be best to allow at least half of 2013 season to pass; no reason to do anything at this time.