View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Fun and interesting discussion! Is Smith a "need" player? Not so sure as Crick $ .668, Jamison $. 840 and even Browner $ .495 for 2014 may impact keeping Antonio after 2013.

Again, I like Smith but $9.5m cap goes a long way to signing Cushing & Watt. Ninja is a good player but not a great player.
If you're planning on extending Cushing or Watt this year, yes. If not, it has no bearing. Antonio Smith is a FA in 2014. If the Texans want to keep him past 2013 they need to sign him to an extension. I would prefer they do it this year if they are going to do it. That money could be used to sign the rookies & provide some buffer for this year.

If I thought Crick, Jamison or Browner can get me 5 sacks & all the hurries & pressures that goes with it, then yes that would change whether or not we "need" Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I would not keep Smith anywhere near his current salary. He'd have to take a significant pay cut. Otherwise I'd let him test the market.
His current salary is $6M. You don't think he is worth anywhere near $6M/yr? I think he's a $3-$5M per year player. I wouldn't have a problem if the Texans extended him for 4 years with a $10M signing bonus.

That would reduce his cap this year by $2-3M.

$3.5M (current prorated bonus) + $2.5M (new prorated bonus) + $800K (vet min) = 2013 cap hit

$2.5M + (vet min)= 2014 cap hit, 2015 cap hit, 2016 cap hit.

Or something like that.