View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post

Smith may understand that his best chance at getting a "final contract" may come in the form of a Texans extension, and force him to be reasonable. But he might opt to try the FA market at 33. Who knows.
What's reasonable? That's what screws this whole conversation up. Antonio Smith just came off the two best seasons of his career. DL can play well into their thirties. Looking at Justin Smith we should be able to expect at least two more years from Antonio (I think).

Personally, if the Texans don't do something prior to the season starting (or shortly thereafter ala Schaub) that tells me the Texans do not have Antonio in their plans for the future. My way of thinking is that you don't let players you "need" hit free agency.

Of course if Antonio turns them down, that's another story.

So, this, "Don't sign anyone until we sign Cushing & Watt" thinking doesn't make sense to me. We're going to sign other players. As the Texans I would think they have a dollar figure at which they realize good value for Antonio Smith's services. Whatever that dollar figure is, they need to factor that into their future plans.