View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013   #93
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Tell you what, I just pulled up that Jaguars game in week 11.
I found 3 similar plays from the same formation against the same front.
In the first quarter, at 9:48 and 6:35
In the second quarter, at 10:27

The TE did exactly what I've been saying that he should; that is to work in tandem with the OT, stay with the block longer and stronger instead of barely laying a hand on the SDE like OD did on that particular play.

Also, I noticed that both D. Brown or Newton have the same first step.
So my next conclusion is that the Texans taught their OTs that technique, and that Newton did not have a bad first step in the play being discussed.
(This is something I said I wasn't sure of; that the Texans may have a different way of doing things from other teams/coaches.)
Quote:
Watching another game now, looking for the same situation.
Miami week 1

2:31 first qtr
7:53 third qtr

TE stayed on the block well.
So far in two games, I have yet to see anything different in the rules of engagement.
Quote:
Yet another game vs Jags week 2

10:42 1st qtr
2:52 1st qtr
8:32 2nd qtr
7:59 2nd qtr
4:24 4th qtr (DE lined up very wide. OT helped TE before climbing)
2:53 ;th qtr

Still no exception.
The thing that I notice is that the OT (whether it's Newton or D. Brown) never took a bucket step. They all did exactly the same thing Newton was doing in that particular play.
(So, it looks like that is what the Texans teach it differently than other teams.)

The only difference is that OD left the combo after just a hand check on the SDE whereas in all of the other plays mentioned above the TE actually engaged the SDE before releasing to the second level.

Furthermore, the Texans had an extra blocker in the FB Casey in the play being discussed. You don't need two-on-one on the second level as much as at the LOS, where the battle needs to be won.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote