View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013   #86
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Those are great resources and I have learned elements of zone blocking from my dad who had studied many oline coaches over the years including Alex Gibbs obviously, but I've also learned about how the Texans run their scheme from conversations with J. Benton and E. Winston.

I'll just say this. Always remember that the rules of engagement for offensive linemen are fluid and can change from play to play depending on the front they are seeing, the MIKE LB designation and how that team is coached to attack elements of the defense.

Not all teams are coached to do the same things against similar fronts. There are times that a team will execute a play differently than another offensive line based on what the line coach has designated even in a given week.

As for Gibbs, his idea of the outside zone is to run the track tighter to the LOS for the running back and to look for cutback lanes. What the Texans found is that teams began to really concentrate on the cutback lanes since they didn't respect the run around the corner from any of the Texans RBs. Once Foster got there and once Dennison had a little more say, the Texans started to widen out the track of the outside zone just a little bit and concentrate more on getting around the edge with the RB so that teams would have to flow harder.
Lance, read your own post.

You, yourself, said that the rule of engagement can change on any given play.

That means, neither you or I, or anybody else outside of those players and the coaching staff, can say what OD or Newton were supposed to do on that play.

On the other hand, you insist that you know what the two players were supposed to do.

Isn't that a contradiction?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote