View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Actually, I think you were the one who was pretty quick to come to the conclusion on the TE on that play. My point was to say that different teams coach it different ways. With that said, there are some basic truths in the zone. I think we are getting caught up in too many technical aspects. I know a thing or two about oline play and I had my ass handed to me with a big dose of humble pie after watching tape with my dad a couple of years ago. I would prefer to stay away from too many technique issues as there are very few on this board who are qualified to get into technique talk. I can talk basic technique, but I'm not a coach so I'm not going to wonder too far into that area. I trust Rey to do that though.

There are some basics that most teams follow though and they can literally change on the fly depending on who they have to block, the shade of the defender and how best to release linemen to the 2nd level. That's all I'm really commenting on here.
Lance, I'm not quick to jump to conclusion on anything; that is the way I always am.

I had gone through/reviewed several coaching manuals/tips on the web and rewatched a few videos before I made that call.

I think it is you that was quick to come to a few conclusions when you made the video that breaks down that particular play.

All the things that you touched in the last few posts were already addressed by myself in previous posts, if only you would read them.

Tell you what, I just pulled up that Jaguars game in week 11.
I found 3 similar plays from the same formation against the same front.
In the first quarter, at 9:48 and 6:35
In the second quarter, at 10:27

The TE did exactly what I've been saying that he should; that is to work in tandem with the OT, stay with the block longer and stronger instead of barely laying a hand on the SDE like OD did on that particular play.

Also, I noticed that both D. Brown or Newton have the same first step.
So my next conclusion is that the Texans taught their OTs that technique, and that Newton did not have a bad first step in the play being discussed.
(This is something I said I wasn't sure of; that the Texans may have a different way of doing things from other teams/coaches.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote