View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013   #76
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 4th round Trevardo Williams De/OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I think of SAM & WILL as the OLB positions in the more conventional 4-3 defense, while with Wade's defense it's very much a hybrid defense with a 3-4 alignment sometimes but others with one or both of the OLBs actually assuming 3-point stances. But because of his greater size and strength it's easy to assume that Montgomery is more suited as the SAM type to be over the TE.
IMO, Wade still uses a fairly standard definition of Will and Sam at the OLB positions. The biggest difference is that the Will OLB will line up on the LT more often than the RT, unless it's a left handed QB, and will mostly be used as a pass rusher but will still have to maintain containment on the end. I could very well be wrong, though.