View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013   #169
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
You're missing my point. OR Maybe I have it wrong.

As long as a contract doesn't have guaranteed money, you can sign anyone you want, irrespective of the cap. Then you can cut or make any roster moves you need to make "rookies" signed including those with no guaranteed money.

Apparently I have that all wrong and will defer to you.
As far as I know, signing a player affects the cap. The way it's structured affects how much it affects the cap and when, including guaranteed money(which is due if you cut the player and affects the cap the most). I do not, in any way, shape or form, pretend to even remotely understand the salary cap.

I do not think that either Leach or Winston would sign anything, at all, that had no guarantees in it. It's mho that Winston would be the wiser signing of the two, regardless of how much I've griped about Winston's play at RT.