View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013   #168
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Texans are less than $3 mil under the cap. There are still rookies left to sign. The Texans are in cap hell. Screw Leach and sign a more productive player, both in % of plays and overall ability to help the team right now.

Leach is a marginal upgrade over Clutts, not a clear cut better player. Winston is better than anyone that's healthy right now.

Personally I'd rather sign neither, especially Leach. If we have to burn cap space, RT is a much more pressing need than FB. FB might play 40% of the offensive snaps. Winston could come in and play 100% of the snaps and be a temporary upgrade that allows a newer player to adjust to the NFL.

Winston might actually be the easier player to sign to a short term, incentive-laden contract, also. His familiarity with the Texans' system also trumps Leach, imo.

Lastly, Leach still has a SB ring and Winston is coming off of a year with the Chiefs. where he got cut from a sad-sack, relatively unproductive, OL. Leverage.
You're missing my point. OR Maybe I have it wrong.

As long as a contract doesn't have guaranteed money, you can sign anyone you want, irrespective of the cap. Then you can cut or make any roster moves you need to make "rookies" signed including those with no guaranteed money.

Apparently I have that all wrong and will defer to you.