View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

This from Tania Ganguli June 25th basically saying extend Antonio Smith. IMO, we have $3m under cap and no evidence of anyone on radar. Why extend when we do not have to? I like Smith but hopefully one of the younger guys will be ready to go by 2014. Smith's $9m hit would go well to Cush if he gets even that much. We have plenty of time to decide what to do with Brian, especially to allow him to show what he has.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daGVR?u...houston-texans

If they gave Antonio Smith a four-year extension through 2017, they could lower his 2013 cap number significantly just by reducing his base salary to the minimum — $840,000 for someone with eight years experience — and making up the remaining $5.16 million in a signing bonus. He would receive the full signing bonus up front, thus not impacting his cash flow for the year, but the amount of the signing bonus that counts against the salary cap would be evenly split over the length of the contract.

That $3.5 million pro-rated amount from his original contract would still count in his cap number for 2013. But even carrying that number and adding it to the new pro-rated amount and his base salary, the Texans would reduce his cap figure by about $4 million with this plan.