View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the TE is really there to briefly help Newton based on how the play unfolded. It's not a true double team. He has to take his steps and Newton needs to take his. He can't stay there too long or get too involved with that DE because he has to get up to the next level and pick up that LB.

JMO, but I think what he did there should have been good enough had Newton taken better steps and gotten to the TE's shoulder.

Honestly, Newton should have been able to hook that DE and the ball should have gone outside of him and maybe right behind the TE.

But he didn't do a good job there and the DE was able to close that hole off...at that point Newton just stays engaged with him and continues to block him. That would have been ok had Wade Smith done anything on the back side. The play would have still produced some positive yards...

I can point out a few things I didn't like that they did on the play, but the TE would be the least of my worries there.

If it were man blocking...Then yeah...The TE needs to stay on the DE a lot longer...And Newtons steps wouldn't have been as detrimental...

But in Newton's defense, ZBS is not easy to adjust to if you haven't done much of it. You're used to firing of the ball and pushing to get movement. Taking steps to outflank or out-leverage a defender takes some getting used to. It takes a while to get used to because as a lineman it doesn't really feel natural to step backwards and to the side to block a guy on a running play.

Normally big guys used to plowing guys take the longest to adjust. Unless they've had some ZBS experience...Whereas smaller quicker guys embrace that blocking style more quickly because they finally get to use their quickness to their advantage. They don't have to plow into guys and try to push them 3 yards off the LOS...They can use quickness and leverage to block guys. But like LZ of course you still need strength***

And I know he was there the year before, but he wasn't getting starters reps in practice and still...It just takes a while.

Would have been nice to see Newton this year to see how he progressed.

***This is one reason I'm excited about Brooks on the OL. He has a chance to be dominant in this scheme. With his strength if he can master the footwork and show good quickness and agility, you could see some gaping holes being opened up on that right side.
And I will be very intrigued to see Rey in Newton's position here.

Trust me, it is not about a ability. It's about the scheme.
A HC, or an offensive-line coach that requires the RT to perform this reach block all by himself is not in the right mind.

You want to design a blocking scheme that helps your guys to b more efficient.
Even if you're unorthodox enough, you can't be expecting for the weakest part of your line to achieve this feast.

Sorry, but it makes no sense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote