View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013   #78
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So, Reliant is getting a badass new display screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, but has there been any information about the stadium potentially getting WiFi? It is something that it desperately needs. If I fail to set up my fantasy lineup or a surprise injury comes up, I wouldn't be able to change it and that's happened before. I know some people will say you should be there to watch the game and I agree, but for timeouts and halftime having access to my nfl redzone or my fantasy teams would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
McNair mentioned Wifi when they did the press conference after getting the Superbowl awarded.
Even though Goodell has said that the goal was to have every NFL stadium delivering free Wi-Fi to their fans, only 8 have any semblance of the service as of the end of 2012 [New England Patriots, New York Jets and the Giants (who share MetLife Stadium), the Atlanta Falcons, the Indianapolis Colts, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the New Orleans Saints, the Carolina Panthers and the Miami Dolphins]. Gillette Stadium is the only Stadium to date which can deliver Wi-Fi throughout the stadium. There are many problems to overcome.........and it is expensive.........which we all know will be passed on to the fans. The Patriots tickets were the 2nd most expensive in the league last year........only 10 cents less expensive than the most expensive Jets tickets.

NFL dangles apps and Wi-Fi to boost lagging attendance

Quote:
Bringing in Wi-Fi and a ton of multimedia bling sounds promising. Here's the catch: Delivering that experience to 70,000 fans packed into a relatively small area is extremely tricky. If you've ever tried texting, calling or -- God help you -- uploading a photo to Facebook (FB) while you're at a game or concert, you're aware of the problem. Washington's wireless networks jammed during President Obama's 2009 inauguration, and planners are braced for a repeat of that during his second inauguration on Monday.

Smartphones quickly become dumb phones when tens of thousands of people all try to access the same cell towers simultaneously.

Streaming video to individual devices throughout an entire football stadium requires hundreds of radios strategically placed throughout the arena, perfectly aimed and calibrated so they won't interfere with other equipment. A poorly placed radio could wipe out Wi-Fi for an entire section, as could radios placed close to television broadcast equipment.

The Patriots hired networking solutions provider Enterasys -- a Cisco (CSCO, Fortune 500) competitor -- to build their network.

Enterasys essentially treated Gillette as a medium-sized town squashed into a tiny, dense area. It created a mini-Internet service provider (like a Comcast (CMCSA) or Time Warner Cable (TWC, Fortune 500)) inside the stadium, including a networking core that connects directly to the Internet. Enterasys custom-designed 300 Wi-Fi access points and snaked thousands of feet of cable throughout the venue.

It's a multi-million dollar project that many bigger names expressed interest in, but no other competitors were willing to guarantee the results, according to the Patriots' Kraft. The network at Gillette has performed well throughout the season, he said. It peaked at 10,000 people using the Wi-Fi simultaneously during last Sunday's playoff win against the Houston Texans, with no service disruptions.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote