View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013   #55
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Listening to LZ I get the impression that Newton was supposed to cross the face of the DE & wall him off from getting to the sideline. IMO, there is no way he can do that unless the TE blocks longer & harder than what he did.
I can't really say anything other than you are incorrect. I've performed that very same block hunderds of times. I've been the guy that's covered and had to perform what my coach called a half bench for the guard to take over and for me to go up to the LB and I've been in the position of having to take over a guy allowing the TE or guard to go up to the next level.

That was more than enough help IMO. Notice I said half bench...Half bench is when you only put one hand on the guy which should be enough help. The TE actually gets two hands on the guy.

I'm telling you, Newton should have EASILY hooked that guy there....But since he didn't he's got to recognize quickly that he isn't going to hook him and that's when he is supposed to use the defenders momentum against him and say "ok, you wanna go outside...Let me help you"...That's when he should have began pushing him TO the sideline which should open up a hole and allow the RB to cut the ball up...

That's why you need a RB that embodies the patience to let the play develop and make the patented one cut and go. The RB doesn't really 'know' where the hole will end up being. It could be anywhere....Even on the backside of the play...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote