View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Through the first minute of the video he continues to say that Newton failed to stop the DE from widening the play... but everything I've read in this thread says his job was to drive the DE to the sideline. Both statements can not be true.

Listening to LZ I get the impression that Newton was supposed to cross the face of the DE & wall him off from getting to the sideline. IMO, there is no way he can do that unless the TE blocks longer & harder than what he did.

Newton's footwork may have been poor, he may not have gotten to the block on time. But if 76 is right & he did not give up ground beyond the 31 yard line & he drove the DE to the sideline parallel to the LOS, Newton recovered pretty well.
Oh... yeah... no.

I should probably go back and look at the play before saying this but I'm at work and need to hurry.

Newton was supposed to drive him out to the sideline to allow Arian to cut inside of Newton. But instead, Newton allowed the DE to stay relatively inside and only slowly push outside, which forced Arian OUTSIDE instead of inside... in other words, widening out the play.

EDIT:
OTOH, Rey is saying that he should have hooked him and driven him inside to allow Arian outside.

Basically, it's got to be one or the other.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote