View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If Newton takes a better initial and second step there, He'd have better positioning on the DE thus allowing the TE to come off sooner.

But really that would just be a small thing I'd point out as the TE was good on that play. He did his job almost perfectly. Newton has to take a better step and get in position to take that block over better.
& I'm fine with that. I don't claim to be an expert, but this thread would have been dull & short had no one disagreed with LZ & all the discussion since would not have happened. But I feel others (as well as myself) has benefited from the discussion.

Now, if you go back to the video, LZ isn't saying that Newton did a poor job because of his footwork or inability to get on that block. He's saying that Newton allowed too much penetration. But as 76 says, Newton starts at the 31 yard line & he finishes on the 31 yard line.

Through the first minute of the video he continues to say that Newton failed to stop the DE from widening the play... but everything I've read in this thread says his job was to drive the DE to the sideline. Both statements can not be true.

Listening to LZ I get the impression that Newton was supposed to cross the face of the DE & wall him off from getting to the sideline. IMO, there is no way he can do that unless the TE blocks longer & harder than what he did.

Newton's footwork may have been poor, he may not have gotten to the block on time. But if 76 is right & he did not give up ground beyond the 31 yard line & he drove the DE to the sideline parallel to the LOS, Newton recovered pretty well.