View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not going to go down the whole KJ thing again, but I still don't agree with his analysis from back then that KJ was being failed by the defenders around him.

But whether it was coaching, being thrown out too soon, or whatever...Kareem made a lot of mistakes as a rookie and was not a good player being made to look bad because his safeties weren't good.

Both of those safeties were fine the year before and one of them just started the whole year for a superbowl team.

Kareem has improved. He was not always this good of a player.
I believe 76 & I shared the same opinion on KJ & it wasn't that he thought KJ looked so bad because of the defenders around him. There were times when that was the case & 76 would provide his take on those plays. Often with screen shots & explaining the technique Kj was playing along with the coverage he "assumed" the defense was in.

Kj made a lot of mistakes, the argument there, was that as a rookie we should expect him to make a lot of mistakes. We should understand the position he was put in, consistently in man coverage on the edges which is unusual for a rookie. We talk about how Kyle Wilson & Devin McCourty were used as contrast.

Just like Wade Smith isn't performing as well as he had in the past, those two safeties failed big time. We asked Pollard to something he was not good at & Eugene Wilson lost a step.

Maybe my expectations for Kj were too low. I expected some trouble... not as much as what we saw, but I could still tell he was a solid player who generally got better from week to week. I did not expect him to be a bad ass out the gate like Cushing or Demeco, or Jj Watt. If that was what I was expecting I'd probably have been down on Kj as much as everyone else.

But even with the success McCourty was having in New England, I felt that was the exception to the rule. Most NFL CBs do not have that kind of success from day one.