View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

The cut back lane, in the meantime, was lost due to Smith missing the cut block.

Play shut down.
At least we all agree that Wade screwed the pooch.

What I don't understand is why we are so focused on the right side of the line. IMO, over the course of the year, Ben Jones was much more consistent in doing his job than Wade was in doing his job.

I can understand there will be some growing pains with Ben Jones & Derek Newton. They're not going to come in & play as well as Briesel & Winston. But we should expect better from Wade.
"But Wade went to the ProBowl"
I honestly don't remember seeing Wade's name in the voting. It was Antoine Caldwell's & we joked about him not even playing.

Brandon Brooks is bigger & stronger than Ben Jones. He showed that he can play well enough to start (I think anyway). But I also think Ben Jones made a strong case to continue as a starter.

This is the second year in a row that I believe Wade has put out a less than acceptable performance. If I were king, Brooks would be my starting LG, Jones would be my starting RG.

Just like we are seeing a drop off in play from Briesel to Jones/Brooks, we're going to see that same drop off if Jones doesn't start & comes in to play Center when needed. I think he's getting excellent training being on the line next to Myers where he can see what Myers is seeing as he makes the calls.

We should continue to look for another Guard/Center ala Cody White if he becomes a better Guard than Ben Jones, then he starts & Jones goes to the bench.

But right now, our OL need a RT, RG, LG

I think Newton, Jones, & Brooks will play much better in their second season. I don't think Wade Smith is going to play better in his 10th. We're paying him a lot of money that can be used elsewhere & he's only turned in one acceptable season to date.