View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Great post.

Now what did you not like about Newton's steps that were "terrible & aweful"
His first step should be wide and deep. His second step should not cross over his first step. He should try to stay square to the LOS.

It looks like he barely gained any ground with that first step. His footwork looked like someone just starting out right there with very little coaching.

I wish I had some film of when Alex Gibbs was here to see if the technique was different. I'm not really a fan of what Meyers did right there either nor the RG....

But the play could have still worked if Wade Smith had done anything at all.

Wade has got to do more besides come off the ball and flop on the ground like a fish there.

I don't want to compare my coaching to NFL coaching, but I had a damn good coach and we ran the exact same scheme. We weren't allowed to cut the first level of defense unless we had them hooked...If we had them completely hooked then we could cut them to stop back side pursuit.

But if we didn't absolutely have them hooked our coach preferred that we stay on our feet and stay engaged because we could just "push them past the hole" or keep pushing them to the sideline and the RB could cut off of us.

For instance...If Wade just engaged the DT, even if he couldn't hook him, he could have washed him straight down the line into all that other traffic...That would have caused a pile up right there and made the read easier for Arian.

But instead Wade goes for the ill advised cut block there and not only does it allow his man to take away the cut back, but now he is on the ground in the way.

But I have no idea what or how the Texans are taught. I'm just giving my input based on what I know from when I played.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote