View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013   #17
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That sounds reasonable.

However, if that was the right read, why do you fault him for allowing the DE to get to wide?

Getting moved backwards, the penetration I can understand that as a reason that play failed. But how is getting "too wide" a problem if his first read was to push the defender wide?

My original comments were based on you saying his responsibility was to secure the edge. To do that, the TE has to do a lot more than what he did.

Thanks for your reply.
I fault him for allowing the DE to continue to widen out. Once he decides to turn him, it is his job to wall the defender off in order to create and edge for Arian to turn. He never did that. He allowed the DE to keep on widening out. Giving up penetration was a massive issue for Newton though. It is something that concerns the Texans staff, I can promise you that.

And as for securing the edge, that means either kicking out or turning defender. It's Newton's choice. Once he decides to turn him, then it is his job to turn him. He didn't do that. He didn't execute, but either did Jones or Wade. That was the point of using that particular play. It also had LBs playing downhill. I wanted to find a play that had as many negatives as I had covered in the blog in order to illustrate the point without having to make 4 videos.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote