View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013   #11
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not letting Newton off the hook. I am not saying our OL do not need to be strong & be able to use their strength. I am not saying Derek Newton shouldn't have to play as well as Eric Winston, Duane Brown, or any other linemen.

The DE in question isn't playing the 5 tech, he's outside the TE. Derek Newton isn't just trying to cross the face of the guy in front of him like Wade should have in that play (& I did add your comments about Wade), He's trying to cross the face of the guy lined up to the guy next to him. Can't be done, not by Winston, not by Brown, not by Myers, not without help from the TE (who is lined up on the DE).

As far as the Jones/Myers double block, again, no one is lined up over Myers, the defender in question is lined up over Jones. It's possible that Jones was supposed to stand up Alualu & pass him off to Myers (the same way I am saying Graham was supposed to do to the DE), & it's possible that Myers was supposed to take on that block.

However, it looked like Myers intentionally engaged Alualu to get him moving to his right, helping Jones' block, then he would get up & block the MIKE...... I'm willing to say your scenario is more right, but in that case two players failed, in my scenario only one guy.

So that brings up the question, why do I expect Newton to pick up the block & Graham to get to the second level, but I expect BenJones to maintain his block while Myers works up to the second level. A big reason is because of how they got off the line. Newton made an "obvious" attempt to get under the DE & Graham made an "obvious" attempt to get to the second level. Jones made an obvious attempt to square up on the defender, Myers made an obvious attempt to get to the second level.

I'm Monday morning QBing, I'm not denying that. It's possible I'm looking at it wrong. But I'm not seeing Newton (won't lie, I'm a big fan) as not "good enough" I'm saying the scheme failed him.
Newton has two choices to make depending on how the DE reacts. He can kick him out and create a crease inside or he can engage and get his feet around the other side to wall him off. Unfortunately, he committed to engaging but didn't get feet around him. He has the option of just riding the DE in the direction that he (DE) wants to go. Arian's first read is that DE so he would immediately read him as a kickout block and would keep his next read inside. That is the great thing about the zone scheme for play-side tackles..... you aren't tied to doing just one thing with the defender.

Of course the defender is shaded over Jones. That has nothing to do with it. The Texans can do one of two things there. They can get their guard to get around the face and work up to MIKE or they can block him with RG with Myers getting a securing block (push) on the 3 tech and then working up to the MIKE. In the second scenario, that would allow for a better backside cutback scenario, but that was all shot to hell as soon as Wade Smith approached his cut with such poor technique. The more I look at where Alualu is shaded here as 3 tech, it certainly is possible that Myers was just going to secure and get to 2nd level on MIKE. You might be right on that. The problem is that the right side (Jones and Newton) did not do their jobs on this play.

And the scheme definitely did not fail Newton. His read should have been to get on the inside shoulder of the DE and drive him outside to open up the crease between DE and DT. That was the right read. He made the wrong decision. Once he made the decision to engage and get the DE turned, then he has to use the technique he's taught which is to play with lower pad level and then get his feet to the other side of the defender.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote