View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013   #6
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Nothing against LZ, but..... after just watching the first video I think there is more to the story than what he covers. For starters, he gets on Derek Newton allowing penetration early in the play. I'm not going to defend Derek Newton, but remember we don't select offensive linemen for their strength like a traditional team. Athleticism is more important & we use scheme to turn that athleticism to our advantage.
Look at how they are lined up pre-snap. The guy that Newton eventually engages is shading the outside shoulder of the TE (Graham??) the only way for Newton to get in position is for that tight end to explode off the line, engage the DE, giving Newton time to get into position. That doesn't happen. The TE instead is focused on his second level responsibility.

Also look at the backside of the play, particularly Wade Smith. He immediately grabs the dirt trying to cut the DT. A few seconds later he's on the ground by himself & the rest of the action is 30 yards to his right. The DT effectively seals off the backside cut. Had WadeSmith been able to stay on his feet, he could have driven the DT to the right opening the cut back, or he could have held up that DT providing a lane.

LZ correctly (imo) identifies the missed block by the RG, but he also includes the center in that error, I don't. I think Meyers did a good job of gaining position on the Mike LB. But a piss poor job of blocking him. He had him, but got shrugged off.
Duane Brown did a good job engaging the backside LB, but I think he spent to much time messing with him. He does a great job of blowing him up but then waits to be re-engaged....... Maybe he's thinking Arian is coming on that backside cut (that isn't there because Wade took a nap), but after that LB got blown up I don't think he could have recovered to make a play. IMO (& I'm just a Monday Morning QB) Duane should have continued down field to put that safety on his as5.

And I promise that I mean no offense to you, but I think you are off on quite a bit of this.

Regarding Derek Newton, you let him off the hook WAY too easily here. Whether the man is playing a 5-technique or is shaded outside, the tackles responsibility is to use footwork, technique and core strength to make his block. Eric Winston had to do it, Duane Brown has to do it and so does Derek Newton. With proper footwork and hand placement, it isn't that big of a deal as long as you are strong enough. Just because an olineman plays in zone scheme, that doesn't mean he doesn't have to be functionally strong. That's a complete myth that people tend to perpetrate and allow to live on. If a player isn't strong enough to play the position along the line, he has to be replaced. It's pretty much that simple. On this particular play, if Newton can do one of two things, continue to kick the defender out (which he didn't attempt) or bring his feet with him and move them towards the outside to create wall off defender. He didn't do that either. This was a technique issue as much as anything.

As for Wade Smith, I assume you didn't listen to the video because I address Wade Smith and his failures on the play. His first mistake was that he tried to cut WAY too early. That play on that shade requires him to gain ground on the outside and then aim his cut block on the left leg (inside leg) of T. Knighton, not the right one as he was aiming for.

As for Ben Jones and C. Myers, you have this one wrong. This is a handoff block where Jones is to get across the face of the 3-tech and "hand him to Myers. From that point, it is Jones' responsibility to work up to the MIKE. Obviously, Alualu blew that play up so Myers was just trying to get a piece of the MIKE but it is highly unlikely that the MIKE was his responsibility on that play.

As for Duane Brown, I don't care that much about him on this play since his block or non-block was not going to be a factor based on the missed cut block, the missed combo on the 3-tech and the inability to secure the DE.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote