View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Saw this in the chron this morning and didn't see it posted anywhere else. It's a good breakdown of what the Texans need to do to improve their run game this season. http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...ysis-included/
Nothing against LZ, but..... after just watching the first video I think there is more to the story than what he covers. For starters, he gets on Derek Newton allowing penetration early in the play. I'm not going to defend Derek Newton, but remember we don't select offensive linemen for their strength like a traditional team. Athleticism is more important & we use scheme to turn that athleticism to our advantage.
Look at how they are lined up pre-snap. The guy that Newton eventually engages is shading the outside shoulder of the TE (Graham??) the only way for Newton to get in position is for that tight end to explode off the line, engage the DE, giving Newton time to get into position. That doesn't happen. The TE instead is focused on his second level responsibility.

Also look at the backside of the play, particularly Wade Smith. He immediately grabs the dirt trying to cut the DT. A few seconds later he's on the ground by himself & the rest of the action is 30 yards to his right. The DT effectively seals off the backside cut. Had WadeSmith been able to stay on his feet, he could have driven the DT to the right opening the cut back, or he could have held up that DT providing a lane.

LZ correctly (imo) identifies the missed block by the RG, but he also includes the center in that error, I don't. I think Meyers did a good job of gaining position on the Mike LB. But a piss poor job of blocking him. He had him, but got shrugged off.
Duane Brown did a good job engaging the backside LB, but I think he spent to much time messing with him. He does a great job of blowing him up but then waits to be re-engaged....... Maybe he's thinking Arian is coming on that backside cut (that isn't there because Wade took a nap), but after that LB got blown up I don't think he could have recovered to make a play. IMO (& I'm just a Monday Morning QB) Duane should have continued down field to put that safety on his as5.