View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013   #5
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NFL.com] NFL's best defense? Texans, Seahawks are in the conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Okay - I don't really know what that means, but while I don't agree with everything he says, Jeremiah is IMO one of the more knowledgeable NFL writers/talking heads out there right now.

He at least brings a background as someone who's actually worked as a scout for NFL teams. That background seems to give him an advantage in player evaluation compared to most of those who hold down similar positions.

And while I don't have the concern about the secondary as a whole that he seems to, I think safety is the biggest question-mark on the defensive side. You've got Manning coming off a very sub-par year, Reed coming off surgery, Swearinger, who may be the next Polamalu or Reed, but until he shows it in real games, he's still just a rookie, and Keo. If everything goes right, it could be a strength, but if a couple of things go wrong, it could be a real problem.
Have to agree with this. We had issues against the spread last season to say the least. Cush's return helps but he won't cover all those issues we had. And to add to the post above we also are shaky at nickle back. Before his injury Brice McCain was having a below average season (to say the least). So either he needs to bounce back this year or Brandon Harris will get the role who also had a below average season though I believe he improved toward the end. None the less it doesn't make it any less a question mark.

And we also have to be honest...Reed was not very good last season. We're hoping he has something more like maybe the guy that enjoyed catching passes from Yates a couple of years back. So like Champion said, this group could swing in way then shift to a whole other. Only two I feel solid about are our outside corners. Manning is strong in the box but have to worry about injuries when you put him there. Anything that gets Keo close to the field may not be a good thing...
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote