View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013   #37
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No Bags/Purses to Games

Here is an alternate opinion (at least alternate from the one's posted in this thread)...
Quote:
HOUSTON (CBS Houston) - I am a woman and yes, I am ecstatic about the NFLís new handbag policy. Like many women do, I also own many large handbags that could fit a small animal or portable appliance. Do I bring these bags to professional sporting events? Yes, sometimes I do. However, many, many times over the years, I have worried about the backpack and handbag contents of people around me.

Reliant Stadium holds 71,500 people, not including employees, concession workers, players, and team officials. It has occurred to me nearly every time I go through stadium security with my kids, that it would only take one looney tune to bring a homemade bomb or explosive to target 71,500 people in an enclosed space. I am, by far, not a paranoid person who sits around watching 24-hour news channels all day long. Life is unpredictable and the world is changing. Itís sad but we need to deal with it. Donít show me the stats (or lack thereof) on explosives at U.S. sporting events. I am sure that would not give the killed or maimed Boston Marathon victims any solace, and it does not give me any solace either. If someone on that marathon committee had suggested banning backpacks, fanny packs and running drink packs, perhaps many would have been in an uproar as well prior to April 15, 2013. Do we want to endure another national tragedy before acting?
This woman says it's a good idea. Other than installing X-ray machines (which will probably be reflected in higher ticket prices) and scanning everyone who goes thru the gates, I'm not sure what the alternatives are.

Further, since I don't carry a purse anyway, I really don't think I should "get to vote" on this. But I will concede, she has a point. Do we implement this change now or wait until something really ugly DOES happen?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote