View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013   #115
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Change the same paragraph to have white men after Genghis Khan took over significant white controlled territories. It still would not make white an innate disparaging term.

You still failed to address that the use of the word and the opinion of the people are two separate issues. My saying "white men are intellectually inferior" makes me a racist. It does not make the word "white" racist.
I don't consider the word "redskin" to be the same as the words "black" or "white." Neither does the country. If we did, your choice on the Census would be Black, White, Redskin, Hawaiian, Asian. Instead we call them Black, White, American Indian, etc. If it were merely a descriptive term like you claim, it would be used in the same fashion. Police and the media don't describe Indian subjects as redskins -- but they do describe others as black or white. I can't think of a single part of society where the word "redskin" is used in just a plain descriptive fashion the way "black" or "white" is. Can you?
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote