View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013   #105
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd like to hear it before I call it a slur. I'd like to see some evidence that the word has been used at all, I don't believe it has been used in any context other than associated with the football team.

Yes people could have said those things, used that word that way. But I don't think they did.
LOL, I don't really have "dog in this fight" (I do have Cherokee and some Cree ancestory, but I am white). I am telling you that I have a long time friend that lives in South Dakota. He's told me all sorts of stories about living around, going to school with, and working with Native Americans.

I am telling you that they use the word "redskin" and it's not used as a compliment. I've heard him use it several times, especially after he's been drinking. Growing up there he's had some run ins with some from the local tribes and he doesn't always speaking fondly of them if you know what I mean.

He's one of those "rough around the edges" types. He's got a good heart but seems to always find trouble. When he was younger that often resulted in going to blows with "some drunk redskin" in a bar as he would say.

You said you have never heard the term "redskin" in a song. I assume you don't listen to Iron Maiden, however I just remembered that they used "redskin" in "Run to the Hills".

Quote:
White man came across the sea
He brought us pain and misery
He killed our tribes killed our creed
He took our game for his own need

We fought him hard we fought him well
Out on the plains we gave him hell
But many came too much for Cree
Oh will we ever be set free?

Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes