View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013   #76
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Or maybe "a lot of people" just don't know WTF they're talking about? There's a lot of that going on.

Anyone of intelligence clearly understands that the term redskins was a racist epithat. It's not viewed that way so much any longer because...well they aren't that many "redskins" left. And while no one alive had anything to do the near annihilation of the native American population, I don't think it is something that should be dismissed as trivial and forgotten.

If the NFL changed the name to a native tribe, that could show honor and respect. They don't want to, because it would cost a lot of $$$ in re-branding. But, they should do it. Not because it's "politically correct". But, because it's just plainly the right thing to do.
No, I think they have a point. I disagree with you almost entirely here and it's not from a lack of intelligence. I think you're off your rocker where you talk about the NFL not rebranding because it costs lots of money. The NFL would be fine with selling every Redskins fan a whole new kit of gear and the money they'd make from it would dwarf the cost to the team and league to change their name. It would cost no more (relative to inflation) than it cost Bud Adams to change from Oilers to Titans. The NFL would rebrand a team every year if they thought they could get away with it.

Nice roundabout way of calling me stupid because I don't agree with you on this by the way. The NFL should not change this name. Shouldn't even consider it or dignify the conversation with a response. What needs to change is the thickness of the average American's skin.