View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013   #17
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 36736 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

There are almost 3 million NAI from federally recognized tribes. The distinction between federal and state recognition is there for a reason. Anyone can claim NAI blood but to obtain federal recognition you must prove it. Lots of people attempt to claim federal NAI ancestry because of real or imagined benefits. There are also quite a few out there who claim tribal affiliation but are 'adopted' (an honorary status).

If Natives from NAI colleges, reservations, outreach offices were polled, I would give serious consideration to those results, as I would any opinion from cultural Indians.

'In name only' doesn't count and I have no reason to believe those 768 people are anything other than that.